Free hosting is a service that allows a user to place his website for free or any other information (files, texts, pictures, videos) on the server of a hosting provider on the Internet. Of the most popular free hosting sites , uCoz , uKit , Yandex.Narod (now owned by Yukoz), Hostinger , Fatal.ru , Holm.ru (registration closed), Boom.ru and MyLivePage.ru (closed) are worth mentioning.
Almost all novice webmasters who are just trying to create their first sites host them on free hosting. If your website consists of simple html-pages and it does not require support for PHP and MySQL databases , then this is a good option. But if you are doing a serious portal, company website or even a personal offline blog, then free hosting doesn’t suit you. All due to the fact that its capabilities are greatly reduced.
The main disadvantages of free hosting sites:
- Forced advertising – hoster banners will be placed on the pages of your site.
- Limited disk space – often it does not exceed 100 MB.
- The lack of support for the PHP and MySQL database languages - none of the serious content management systems ( CMS Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, DLE , etc.) will work.
- Domain of the 3rd level – your site will be accessible at difficult to remember and undignable address (such as takogo.ucoz.org ). Although recently some free hosters have introduced the ability to “attach” second-level domain names, but not for free.
- Free hosting may suddenly close with your site. Of course, if this is not such a major service as the same Ucoz or Wix.com .
The best alternative “free” hosting are cheap rates of commercial providers – less than 100 rubles per month . It’s cheaper than buying ad disables, your own 2nd level domain and other paid options for “free” hosts.